UNITY, THEY SAY.

UNITY, THEY SAY.
Did I not journey through foes I can’t unsee?
Swimming across discord, a great sea
Did I not listen to the sounds of war?
Sorrow streaming deep against my oar
Did I not lay my eyes down as children starved?
Saying this, their sight in my mind remains carved 
Did I not feel the cries of people deep in my bones?
Same reason I ignore the sound of battle horns
Did I not smell decaying corpses as I fled?
Ghostly faces, lifeless pictures inscribed in my head
Did I not taste the bitter tears?
As they trickled down, peeling my fears
Do I not now cherish the days of harmony?
With family, days as sweet as honey
Gidi gidi bụ ugwu – unity is strength 
Whispers my soul as I close my eyes in death

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WITH FEAR, FOR HOPE

THAT CAMERA? SELL IT!

FREEDOM?